Rushton Hall, Northamptonshire
The Cokayne association with Rushton in Northamptonshire arose when Sir William Cokayne bought Rushton Hall from the Tresham family in 1614 (see AECM Part 4, or the Rushton stemma). William's son Charles was made Viscount Cullen. The hall was sold to the Hope family in 1731: it originally contained a small church, which stood near the entrance, but this was demolished in the early 18th century and the glass incorporated into the Great Hall of the hall.
Whilst the association of this branch of the family with Rushton Hall was relatively short, the family line continued through William Cokayne, who was the brother of Borlase, the last Viscount Cullen. William and his wife, Barbara Hill, had only daughters, but their second daughter, Mary Ann, married William Adams of London in 1811. The youngest son of this couple was George Edward Adams (1825-1911), who was a professional genealogist and rose to the position of Clarenceux King of Arms at the Royal College of Arms. As well as co-authoring The Complete Peerage, he added to the work of his distant and contemporary relative Andreas Edward Cokayne. He changed his surname to Cokayne in 1873 by Royal licence, but whilst his own children were registered under the name Adams, his son Brien Ibrican, raised to the peerage as Baron Cullen of Ashbourne in 1920, chose to use the name Cokayne for his children.