Cockayne Hatley, Bedfordshire
The earliest divergence in the family pedigree is the establishment of a family line in Cockayne Hatley, Bedfordshire, by Sir John Cockayne in the early 15th century (as described in AECM).
The church of St. John the Baptist, Cockayne Hatley, Bedfordshire.
The early part of the Cockayne Hatley pedigree is described in AECM, but this has been further researched and published by Dr A. Crossley (The History of Cockayne Hatley and its Lords of the Manor. 1998. Available from the church warden). We present a pedigree combining these sources with our own research; we are very grateful to Dr Crossley for sharing his research and allowing us to publish some of it: The Cockayne family of Cockayne Hatley, Bedfordshire
Left: An early 15th century brass in the nave of Cockayne Hatley Church, possibly of Sir John Cockayne or his brother Sir Edmund of Ashbourne, Derbyshire.
Right: One of two commemorative windows in the chancel of Cockayne Hatley church, dating from 1839. This window displays the armorial bearings of four of the Cockayne family (clockwise from upper left): Sir John, Humphry, Samuel, and John.
The occupation of Cockayne Hatley Hall by the Cockayne family effectively came to an end with the death of Samuel Cockayne in 1745. He had no male heir and the estate passed into the ownership of his cousin Savile Cust, whose grandfather was Sir Richard Cust of Stamford, Lincolnshire. However, Savile and other members of the Cust family to live at Cockayne Hatley chose to adopt the name Cockayne Cust. The estate was finally sold outside of the family by Harry Cockayne Cust in 1897, at which time it extended to 1527 acres (Crossley 1998).
The arms of Sir John Cockayne of Cockayne Hatley, Bedfordshire (detail from window shown above).